The term “Licensed Access” replaces the terms “BarDIRECT” and “Direct Professional Access”.
Licensed access is a licensing system whereby organisations or individuals who are suitable to instruct barristers because they have expertise in particular areas of the law can apply to the Bar Council to be licensed to instruct barristers directly in those areas.
The licence can cover advice or representation or both and permit licensees to instruct barristers either on their own affairs or on behalf of their clients. Of particular interest in relation to tax, is that the members of the following professional bodies can instruct the Bar directly:
- The Association of Authorised Public Accountants
- Association of Taxation Technicians
- The Chartered Association of Certified Accountants
- The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Institute of Chartered Accountants
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland
- The Chartered Institute of Taxation
- The Institute of Financial Accountants
- The Institute of Direct Taxation
For full details see the Bar Council website.
"The RBA promotes a high standard of professional advice and advocacy in the complex and ever-changing world of tax."
Jonathan Peacock QC, RBA Chairman 2013-2016